reSAWN is pleased to announce the latest offering from our award-winning CHARRED collection – shou-sugi-ban Accoya wood – ideal for exterior siding and challenging applications.
Accoya® wood is the result of decades of research and development that has brought together a long-established, extensively proven wood modification technique and leading-edge patented technology – acetylation to create a high performance wood, ideal for outdoor use and challenging applications.
By significantly enhancing the durability and dimensional stability of fast-growing and abundantly available certified wood species, Accoya® wood provides compelling environmental advantages over slow-growing hardwoods (which are often unsustainably sourced), woods treated with toxic preservative chemicals, and non-renewable carbon-intensive materials such as plastics, steel and concrete.
- The Accoya® wood patented modification process adds nothing to the wood that does not already naturally occur in it
- Class 1 durability – facilitating a longer lifespan, improved carbon sequestration potential and lower lifetime material consumption versus other materials
- Outstanding dimensional stability, resulting in lower maintenance frequency and therefore less coating over the lifetime of the product
- Superior thermal insulation, providing energy conservation advantages when used for applications such as windows and doors
- All Accoya® wood is produced from well managed sustainable sources including FSC® and other regionally certified woods
- Low carbon footprint: Accoya® wood is an environmentally compatible substitute for carbon intensive materials
- Environmentally compatible: 100% recyclable and reusable, naturally renewable
- Rapidly renewable materials: use of abundantly available and fast-growing source species
Accoya® wood has been tested over prolonged periods in all types of weathering conditions – above ground, below ground and even in water – and has been proven to withstand even the toughest of external environments. Not only is its durability proven, but it has also been shown to retain its appearance, requiring much less frequent maintenance than other wood species. This gives added reassurance to the manufacturers, architects, specifiers, builders and property owners who have chosen Accoya® wood for a diverse range of projects. Accoya® wood is also being tested for additional uses by leading independent institutes worldwide.
Learn more about Accoya® wood ‘s sustainability:
THE SHOU SUGI BAN PROCESS
reSAWN’s CHARRED collection features cypress, black walnut, red oak, white oak, Accoya® wood, and reclaimed hemlock that is burnt in the Japanese tradition of shou sugi ban. Translated as “the burning of Japanese cypress (sugi)” or yakisugi, and traditionally used in Japan as exterior siding, this ancient technique is gaining new life as a unique and modern wood finish.
The wood is carefully charred, misted with water, cooled, brushed to remove dust and loose debris, and then stained/sealed to create the unique designs you will find in the CHARRED collection. The top coat sealer is applied prior to shipping (for exterior applications, we recommend sealing the face & back). The charcoal barrier created through this process preserves the wood, and is fire, rot and insect resistant. The burning process accentuates the wood grain and creates varying colors when viewed from different angles and in different light.
View more from the CHARRED collection – shou sugi ban wood from reSAWN