CHINOOK, by reSAWN TIMBER co., features rough-sawn, weathered Atlantic White Cedar that is sustainably harvested along the coastal plain region of the United States and intended to provide a high performing, natural material with a weathered aesthetic.
CHINOOK can be used for exterior cladding, interior wall cladding and interior ceiling cladding and is standardly available in select tight knot (STK) grade.
We offer weathered Atlantic White Cedar because of its propensity for resiliency, beauty, and versatility. Its lightweight, straight grain, ease of machining, ease of finishing, low shrinkage, and extreme resistance to decay make it a trusted and elegant option for both interior and exterior applications. The rough-sawn face of CHINOOK improves finish longevity and celebrates the wood in its rawest form.
EXPECT BEAUTIFUL WEATHERED WOOD
Atlantic White Cedar that is uncoated and exposed to weather will over time develop an attractive silver/gray patina. The rate of that color change depends on climate zones, the orientation of the home/structure and exposure to weather. reSAWN’s finishing process on our pre-weathered Atlantic White Cedar solves for woods natural propensity to gray out by resembling a weathered look at the time of installation, with little change as it ages in place. From the start, expect a soft, consistent weathered color and texture that looks natural, appealing and interesting. An additional benefit to our pre-weathered designs is the ability to achieve consistent color on all differing exterior exposures and to attain a seamless interior/exterior aesthetic from day one when exterior cladding is brought to the interior (see the BRIZA image on cover for an example). For interior applications, expect little to no change from the day of installation.
BENEFITS OF ATLANTIC WHITE CEDAR:
- Durable, resistant to decay, lightweight, and greatly aromatic
- Superior insulation properties – the R value is 1.35” (34mm) of thickness
- Shrinks and warps very little, resists swelling, cupping and cracking
- The oil in cedar will allow water to bead up to resist water naturally
- Natural antibacterial and anti-fungal properties
- Sustainably harvested along the east coast of the United States
- All finishes are ultra-low/zero VOC and can contribute to LEED projects
- Most designs can be fire treated to Class A for interior applications
- Since Atlantic White Cedar trees grow larger, it is available in longer lengths when compared to Northern White Cedar
- Because the species is indigenous to the US, specifically the east coast, Atlantic White Cedar is not subject to trade import tariffs, which keep costs lower than Western Red Cedar
*PLEASE CALL reSAWN FOR EXTERIOR INSTALL RECOMMENDATIONS