exterior cladding :: decking
reSAWN TIMBER co. is proud to be the exclusive manufacturer and distributor of Abodo® thermally modified Vulcan cladding, slats, and decking products in the USA.
Based in New Zealand, Abodo prides itself on producing a range of beautiful and durable timber solutions that are safe, sustainable, and renewable. The company has a strong ethos around ensuring its timber is ethically sourced and demonstrates extended producer responsibility. From milling to building, they respect their material, the people who use it, and where it comes from. For every tree milled, Abodo ensures it provides more than 30 years of service, which is as long as it takes to grow a replacement tree.
Vulcan thermally modified wood cladding is created from New Zealand plantation timber. The thermal modification process gives Vulcan cladding superior stability and reduced resin content. It’s naturally durable so the timber doesn’t require any chemical preservatives, and has a beautiful, consistent brown tone.
reSAWN’s Abodo Vulcan Cladding is offered in both Flat Sawn Select Grade and in a Clear Vertical Grain Orientation. The Vertical Grain Vulcan Cladding is engineered with a patented vertical grain orientation for superior weathering characteristics.
Abodo Vulcan Cladding – Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) Compliant
reSAWN TIMBER co.’s Abodo Vulcan cladding passed the test for both horizontal and vertical orientations for upcoming inclusion in the WUI Products Listing. A copy of the test results can be found here. The result? Abodo Vulcan cladding is now a compliant wildland urban interface building material.
Vulcan Decking is created from thermally modified New Zealand plantation timber. It’s treated with an organic preservative system that includes water repellent for superior durability.
VERTICAL GRAIN VULCAN CLADDING :: FINE SAWN FACE
reSAWN TIMBER co.’s Abodo Fine Sawn Face Vertical Grain Vulcan Cladding provides a unique, textured surface with beautiful grain depth. The fine sawn texture opens the wood grain to allow for optimal coating performance.
VERTICAL GRAIN VULCAN CLADDING :: SMOOTH FACE
reSAWN TIMBER co.’s Abodo Smooth Face Vertical Grain Vulcan Cladding is made using a proprietary brushing technique during manufacturing. Brushing the material opens the wood grain to allow for optimal coating performance. The brushing technique also provides a smooth, modern texture on the face of this unique clear vertical grain modified wood.
FLAT SAWN VULCAN CLADDING :: SMOOTH FACE
reSAWN TIMBER co.’s Abodo Flat Sawn Face Vulcan Cladding provides a high-performing exterior cladding with a unique aesthetic. The thermal modification process means Flat Sawn Vulcan Cladding has enhanced stability, reduced resin content, and is naturally durable so does not require any chemical preservatives.
THE FUTURE OF WOOD
Abodo’s thermally modified timbers stand the test of time, they are beautiful, durable and sustainable. Even better, they’re safe for people and the environment.
Abodo timbers are crafted to be enjoyed for years to come. Designed to age with grace, Abodo products have exceptional weatherability and maintain their durability and beauty for a lifetime.
With tomorrow in mind
Abodo timbers are harvested from New Zealand’s FSC® certified rapidly renewable plantation forests. They are ethically crafted with respect from beginning to end – allowing us to meet today’s increasing needs without disadvantaging future generations.
DESIGNED BY NATURE
Abodo timbers are sustainably grown in New Zealand forests that we know and respect, whose rich soils and high annual rainfall ensure rapid growth. With a sustainable annual yield of around 1.8 million hectares of Radiata Pine, New Zealand’s high yielding Radiata Pine plantations are the perfect source for raw material.
New Zealand is the ultimate base for sustainable forestry. Consistently ranked the world’s least corrupt country, New Zealand is not adversely affected by the corruption that effects wood producers in Brazil, South East Asia and Africa.
We take a leaf out of nature’s book to design timbers that look better for longer.
Grown trees experience resistance (like wind) perpendicular to the grain – so we cut some of our timber vertically for greater stability and less surface cracking. This means they age with grace.
Benefits of Specifying Vulcan Cladding:
- Outstanding dimensional stability, resulting in less aesthetic maintenance and therefore less coating over the lifetime of the product.
- Abodo Vulcan Cladding is produced from well managed sustainable sources including FSC® and other regionally certified woods. reSAWN TIMBER co. holds an FSC® Chain of Custody Certification, as well.
- Low carbon footprint: Abodo Vulcan Cladding is an environmentally compatible substitute for carbon-intensive materials.
- 100% recyclable and reusable, naturally renewable.
- Warranty: 15 years against fungal decay*.
- Moisture content: Approx. 7% MC (+/- 2%) at time of dispatch. It does not require acclimation prior to installation.
- Thermally modified pine is resistant to most wood-boring insects.
- Weight: 2lbs/sf (light weight cladding).
- ASTM D4442 – Moisture Content.
- Low VOC (85 g/L) for products finished with Abodo Protector Oil.
- Our STERLING, EGRET, OSPREY and KERERū products are 0 VOC.
- SFM 12-7A-1 – WUI Exterior Wall Siding and Sheathing
Additional Benefits of Vertical Grain Vulcan Cladding:
- Expected dimensional change in structure: Width expansion approx 2%, length expansion approx 0.25%, thickness expansion approx 2.5% (from 7% MC to fiber saturation -variation will occur between boards).
- Abodo Vulcan Cladding is approximately 50% more stable than flat sawn Radiata pine.
- Glue: New generation polyurethane adhesive – VOC, solvent, and formaldehyde-free.
- ASTM D5824 – Delamination Resistance.
Additional Benefits of Flat Sawn Vulcan Cladding:
- Expected dimensional change in structure: Width expansion approx. 4%, length expansion approx. 0.25%, expansion approx. 2.5% (from 7% MC to fiber saturation – variation will occur between boards).
- Vulcan Flat Sawn Cladding is approx. 30% more stable than flat sawn radiata pine..
Abodo® is a registered trade mark owned by Abodo Wood Limited