KITTITAS by reSAWN TIMBER co. features CHARRED clear vertical grain WESTERN HEMLOCK, burnt in the Japanese style of shou sugi ban and sealed with a 0-VOC oil finish. KITTITAS is appropriate for interior wall cladding and ceiling applications. KITTITAS is standardly a Class B Fire Rating and can be treated to Class A Fire Rating for Interior Application – please call to inquire.
reSAWN’s CHARRED offering features Accoya, Kebony, cypress, cedar, black walnut, reclaimed hemlock and newly harvested western hemlock that is burnt in the Japanese tradition of shou sugi ban. Our award-winning CHARRED products pay homage to the traditional Japanese technique of “shou-sugi-ban” aka “yakisugi” without being literal. Historically very specific in their definition, “shou-sugi-ban” and “yakisugi” have become common nomenclature for modern charred wood designs in general. All of reSAWN’s CHARRED products are made in the USA, in our facility in Telford, PA.
KITTITAS is finished with a sustainable, plant-based hardwax oil finish that contains 0-VOCs and is available FSC-certified upon request.
BENEFITS OF reSAWN’s WESTERN HEMLOCK – CLEAR VERTICAL GRAIN:
- From a design perspective it accepts finishes and shou sugi ban charring with excellent results, allowing for modern design aesthetics to be achieved.
- It’s a great option for an affordable, aesthetically pleasing, high grade, vertical grain material.
- Many of our interior Western Hemlock clear vertical grain (CVG) designs are finished in beautiful grey tones. The palette authentically aligns with the look of exterior wood cladding that has weathered to a silver grey naturally over time, such as reSAWN’s pre-weathered clear vertical grain Western Red Cedar and Alaskan Yellow Cedar designs.
- Achieve a seamless interior/exterior aesthetic without having to use exterior grade material on an interior application, which typically comes at a higher cost. As an example, combine our WILLIWAW Alaskan Yellow Cedar CVG for exterior with OKANOGAN Western Hemlock CVG for the interior. Or combine our PACKARD 2.0 charred Western Red Cedar CVG for exterior, with YAKIMA Western Hemlock CVG for the interior.
- Strong, stable, straight-grained timber that is available in long lengths.
- Its wide and prolific availability and its ability to quickly rejuvenate makes this species very sustainable.
- Available as FSC-certified.
- Most designs can be fire treated to Class A for interior projects.
- There is typically little color variation between the heartwood and sapwood. They are often indistinguishable from one another.
CHARACTERISTICS and GRADE:
The heartwood and sapwood of western hemlock are almost white with a purplish tinge. Dark streaks are often found in the lumber; these are caused by hemlock bark maggots and generally do not reduce strength. Western Hemlock is moderately light in weight and moderate in strength. It is moderate in its hardness, stiffness, and shock resistance. The wood is intermediate in nail holding ability and has a tendency to split when nailed. It grows along the Pacific coast of Oregon and Washington and in the northern Rocky Mountains north to Canada and Alaska. Occasionally it will contain a sound and small, black pin knot and dark bark streaks. Clear vertical grain lumber milled from hemlock is fine textured, straight-grained, free of pitch and it splinters less than other softwoods. These characteristics make it an excellent wood for molding, millwork and a large variety of interior paneling products.