SAMITTO by reSAWN TIMBER co. features CHARRED Accoya® wood burnt in the Japanese style of shou sugi ban. SAMITTO can be used for interior or exterior wall cladding. Accoya wood is the result of decades of research and development that has brought together a long-established, extensively proven wood modification technique and leading-edge patented technology – acetylation to create a high performance wood, ideal for outdoor use and challenging applications.
By significantly enhancing the durability and dimensional stability of fast-growing and abundantly available certified wood species, Accoya wood provides compelling environmental advantages over slow-growing hardwoods (which are often unsustainably sourced), woods treated with toxic preservative chemicals, and non-renewable carbon-intensive materials such as plastics, steel and concrete.
- The Accoya wood patented modification process adds nothing to the wood that does not already naturally occur in it
- Class 1 durability – facilitating a longer lifespan, improved carbon sequestration potential and lower lifetime material consumption versus other materials
- Outstanding dimensional stability, resulting in lower maintenance frequency and therefore less coating over the lifetime of the product
- Superior thermal insulation, providing energy conservation advantages when used for applications such as windows and doors
- All Accoya wood is produced from well managed sustainable sources including FSC® and other regionally certified woods
- Low carbon footprint: Accoya wood is an environmentally compatible substitute for carbon intensive materials
- Environmentally compatible: 100% recyclable and reusable, naturally renewable
- Rapidly renewable materials: use of abundantly available and fast-growing source species
Accoya wood has been tested over prolonged periods in all types of weathering conditions – above ground, below ground and even in water – and has been proven to withstand even the toughest of external environments. Not only is its durability proven, but it has also been shown to retain its appearance, requiring much less frequent maintenance than other wood species. This gives added reassurance to the manufacturers, architects, specifiers, builders and property owners who have chosen Accoya wood for a diverse range of projects. Accoya wood is also being tested for additional uses by leading independent institutes worldwide.
reSAWN’s CHARRED offering features Accoya, Kebony, cypress, cedar, black walnut, reclaimed hemlock and newly harvested western hemlock that is burnt in the Japanese tradition of shou sugi ban. Our award-winning CHARRED products pay homage to the traditional Japanese technique of “shou-sugi-ban” aka “yakisugi” without being literal. Historically very specific in their definition, “shou-sugi-ban” and “yakisugi” have become common nomenclature for modern charred wood designs in general. All of reSAWN’s CHARRED products are made in the USA, in our facility in Telford, PA.
The wood is carefully charred, misted with water, cooled, brushed to remove dust and loose debris, and then finished to create the unique designs you will find from reSAWN’s charred products. The burning process accentuates the wood grain and creates varying colors when viewed from different angles and in different light. For interior applications, the wood is finished on the face only. For exterior applications, the wood is finished on the face only and sealed on the back & the two long edges.
EXPECT BEAUTIFUL WEATHERED WOOD
Our charring & sealing process makes for beautifully designed exterior wood siding. Like any exterior wood siding prefinished or finished in place, these materials will weather naturally over time and will require maintenance. For interior applications, expect little to no change. We’ve created this CHARRED USAGE GUIDE to tell you more.