WABI SABI from the CHARRED collection by reSAWN TIMBER co. features Accoya® wood burnt in the Japanese style of shou sugi ban. WABI SABI can be used for interior or exterior wall cladding. Accoya® wood is the result of decades of research and development that has brought together a long-established, extensively proven wood modification technique and leading-edge patented technology – acetylation to create a high performance wood, ideal for outdoor use and challenging applications.
WABI SABI is affectionally named after the Japanese concept of the same name. WABI SABI represents Japanese aesthetics and a Japanese world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is “imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete”.
By significantly enhancing the durability and dimensional stability of fast-growing and abundantly available certified wood species, Accoya® wood provides compelling environmental advantages over slow-growing hardwoods (which are often unsustainably sourced), woods treated with toxic preservative chemicals, and non-renewable carbon-intensive materials such as plastics, steel and concrete.
- The Accoya® wood patented modification process adds nothing to the wood that does not already naturally occur in it
- Class 1 durability – facilitating a longer lifespan, improved carbon sequestration potential and lower lifetime material consumption versus other materials
- Outstanding dimensional stability, resulting in lower maintenance frequency and therefore less coating over the lifetime of the product
- Superior thermal insulation, providing energy conservation advantages when used for applications such as windows and doors
- All Accoya® wood is produced from well managed sustainable sources including FSC® and other regionally certified woods
- Low carbon footprint: Accoya® wood is an environmentally compatible substitute for carbon intensive materials
- Environmentally compatible: 100% recyclable and reusable, naturally renewable
- Rapidly renewable materials: use of abundantly available and fast-growing source species
Accoya® wood has been tested over prolonged periods in all types of weathering conditions – above ground, below ground and even in water – and has been proven to withstand even the toughest of external environments. Not only is its durability proven, but it has also been shown to retain its appearance, requiring much less frequent maintenance than other wood species. This gives added reassurance to the manufacturers, architects, specifiers, builders and property owners who have chosen Accoya® wood for a diverse range of projects. Accoya® wood is also being tested for additional uses by leading independent institutes worldwide.
reSAWN’s award-winning CHARRED collection pays homage to the traditional Japanese technique of “shou-sugi-ban” aka “yakisugi” without being literal. Historically very specific in their definition, “shou-sugi-ban” and “yakisugi” have become common nomenclature for modern charred wood designs in general. Our CHARRED collection is 100% MADE in the USA using domestic wood species, modern finishes, and incorporating our many years of experience in the architectural & design specification market. We pride ourselves on manufacturing charred wood products for a range of applications including exterior siding, interior wall cladding & flooring, and custom furniture.
The wood is carefully charred, misted with water, cooled, brushed to remove dust and loose debris, and then stained/sealed to create the unique designs you will find in the CHARRED collection. The top coat sealer is applied prior to shipping (for exterior applications, we recommend sealing the face & back). The burning process accentuates the wood grain and creates varying colors when viewed from different angles and in different light.